On September 15, Latinx Heritage month begins. Across YES Prep, there will be many events, including the 3rd Annual Latinx Mingler, featuring guest speakers Professor Emilio Gonzalez from the University of St. Thomas and Professor Daniel Pena from the University of Houston-Downtown. Stay tuned for more information. Additionally, you can take part in many events across the city. We’ll continue to add to this list as new events and activities become available.
- September 15, 2017: celebrate Mexican Independence with the Grito ceremony, followed by a performance by Mariachi Reyna de Los Angeles at the Miller Outdoor Theatre.
- September 15-October 15, 2017: the Central Library, Jungman Neighborhood Library, and Park Place Regional Library will feature a new exhibit called, “A Taste from the Archive: Mexican American Food History in Houston.”
- September 16, 2017: Discovery Green will host the Texas Taco Music Fest, sponsored by the Coalition of Hispanics for Excellence in Technology and Art. You’ll get a taste of Mexico with performers, a taco cook-off, arts and crafts and more.
- September 16, 2017: visit the Miller Outdoor Theatre for Texas’ biggest live salsa and dance show, Salsa y Salud.
- September 17, 2017: Trader’s Village will host its 11th annual Fiestas Patrias, celebrating Mexican Independence. The event will feature live bands, food, and dancing.
- September 23, 2017: the Miller Outdoor Theatre will host Plena Libre for the Día de la Hispanidad.
- September 23, 2017: the Harlem Quartet will be performing “From Harlem to Havana” at Christ Church Cathedral.
- September 30, 2017: the Houston Public Library will host LibroFEST & Post-Storm Expo at the Carnegie Neighborhood Library and Center for Learning.
- October 15, 2017: the Houston Latin Fest is a family-oriented Latin music fest at a TBD location.